- SVG is short for Scalable Vector Graphics, a resolution-independent image file format.
- This file format is frequently used for line art like logos and diagrams.
- You can view an SVG file in any web browser, edit it in Adobe Illustrator, or convert it to another file format in Adobe Photoshop.
SVG is an acronym for a Scalable Vector Graphics file, commonly used in graphics programs like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. It is considered a resolution-independent file format because you can scale the image to any size without losing image quality. You can open SVG files in a variety of programs and also convert them to other formats if needed.
What is an SVG file?
SVG file format is short for Scalable Vector Graphics, and as the name suggests, it is a kind of graphics file. Unlike bitmap graphics (such as JPG and PNG files), SVG graphics are composed of vectors, which are a kind of geometric object. The file uses XML to mathematically describe the image using vector geometry.
All of this means that SVG files are resolution-independent; you can scale an SVG file up or down and it will retain sharpness and clarity. On the other hand, if you try to resize a JPG image, it would quickly become pixelated and blurry because the original image has a set number of pixels.
When used for the right applications, SVG files can also be compact and efficient, resulting in small file sizes. That said, SVG isn’t the right file format for every application. It works best for images such as logos, diagrams, and other line art images. Very complex organic images like photographs are a poor use of the SVG format.
How to open an SVG file
Although SVG graphics are not commonly used outside of graphic design professionals, the files are easily opened and viewed using many common software programs.
The easiest way to view an SVG file is to use a web browser. Because SVG uses XML – a text-based markup language similar to HTML – any modern web browser can display an SVG file. Simply drag your SVG file to a browser like Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge and the image should appear in a new tab. However, you will not be able to modify the image.
You can also open an SVG file in many graphics programs. If you want to be able to edit the image in its native vector format, you will need to use a program like Adobe Illustrator. If you’re using Photoshop, the image will automatically be converted to a bitmap graphic at a specific size – see the next section for details.
How to convert an SVG file
Since SVG is a specialized file format, you may want to convert it to a bitmap file such as JPG or PNG so that you can use it more easily in other applications. One way to do this is to use Adobe Photoshop – when you open an SVG in Photoshop, the image is automatically converted to a bitmap graphic at a size you specify. Here’s what to do:
1. In Photoshop, click Case and choose Open.
2. Find the SVG file and choose Open.
3. In the Rasterize SVG format window, choose the size you want the image to be converted to and click OKAY.
4. Make any additional changes you want to the chart.
5. Picking out Casethen Exportso what Export as.
6. In the Export as window, choose the file type you want to create (like JPG) and click Export.
seven. Choose a location for the file and click to safeguard.
If you don’t have access to a program like Photoshop or just want a quick and easy way to convert an SVG file, you can use an online tool like Convertio. To use Convertio:
1. Click on Choose files and select your SVG file.
2. In the drop-down menu to the right of atchoose the file format you want to convert it to (such as JPG).
3. Click on Convert.
4. After a short wait, the file will be completed. Click on To download and save the file to your computer.